Tuesday 8 December 2015

Dig Deep; Questions for a healthier you!

It's time to get real, to dig deep and ask ourselves some serious questions.  In order for us to make a change in any aspect of our lives we need to take a long, hard, HONEST look deep within ourselves.   Living a healthy lifestyle is about having a healthy body AND mind.   We will take a look and some healthy habits to create a healthier, happier YOU.

The first question you need to ask yourself is:

"Who do I want to be?"  

I asked myself this same question a month ago.  My answer was: "I want to be a positive, healthy role model for my children.  Someone who, when they grow up they will aspire to be like."  Was I this person at the time? No, I was not.  I did not have any goals, I preached positivity, but was not practicing what I preached & I most certainly was not very healthy, mind or body.  This was an eye-opener. (You can ready my story here.)

When we ask ourselves these simple, yet provoking questions we can either ignore our answers and nothing will change or we can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  Let's be blunt,  we should not complain about things unless we are willing to put in the work to change them.  So again I will ask you, "Who do you want to be?".  

"Why do I need to work towards becoming that person?"

Maybe your "Why" is because you are starting to notice some health  symptoms as a result of unhealthy habits.  Maybe your weight is climbing and you feel like you have lost control. Maybe you need a healthy mental boost and to add something positive to your life. Or maybe simply because you want to do something for YOU!

I can give you a few examples of "why"  becoming this person is important....


*You will feel better and so will those closest to you.

*QUALITY of life- To THRIVE not just survive.

*For your kids/grand kids.

*To ward of disease & health problems.

I could go on & on but,...I think you catch the drift.  Reflect on the things that are most important to you and how they connect with the person you are now and how they will be benefitted by the person you want to become.


"What do I need to do in order to become that person?"


  • Set some goals.  
First write down your ultimate end goal. Every goal is made up of dozens of smaller ones . Now write down all the little steps you need to take in order to get your end result.  We can not expect to go from 0-100 overnight.  Things take time.  Give yourself credit for each small step you take in the right direction.  All the small victories will add up to something great!


  • Change your perception. 
In order to be & feel healthy you need to have a healthy attitude & outlook.  A healthy lifestyle is a lifelong pursuit.  You can not view it as a fad or a temporary fix.  It takes hard work, dedication and some sacrifices.  So what's the point you might ask?  Those small sacrifices and constant effort outweigh  all the troubles you will encounter throughout an unhealthy lifestyle.

If trying to live healthy seems daunting, too difficult or not worth the effort , than your biggest obstacle will probably be changing your perception, however it is doable.  You need to see the value behind healthy living and how it impacts your QUALITY of life.  Change your perception & you can change your whole life.  I will guarantee it.


  • Surround yourself with positive people.

Surround yourself with people who will uplift, inspire & support you.  These kind of people will help you in all aspects of life.  Who we surround ourselves with has a significant impact on our lives.


  • Find what motivates you.

In order to create successful habits we need to figure out what motivates us.  Maybe it's a support network, motivational quotes, a dream board or a friendly competition.

Again bringing it back to surrounding yourself with positive people, I find having someone to look up to, a mentor sort-to speak helps to keep me motivated.  Who are they and what is it that makes you look up to them?  What do you need to do in order to achieve those same qualities you admire.

Maybe you're telling yourself "I could never be like them.".  Well I am here to tell you that you CAN.  Everyone has to start somewhere and nothing is achieved without effort and hard work.  If you want something you can have it. You just need to be willing to put in the work. Find what motivates you and use it!


  • Know your triggers.

Be aware of what triggers your unhealthy habits. No one is perfect. We all have them.  Don't try to ignore them but rather the first step is simply to be aware of what they are. Make a list. Next make another list of ways to work around, avoid or deal with them so you are prepared in how to handle them when the situation arises.


  • Develop a plan.

Find out what works for YOU. One size does not fit all. If you want it to last it needs to be doable long-term.  Fads & trends aren't usually realistic for the long haul. Find what works for you and stick with it.

Ask yourself these questions:

"What do I enjoy?"

"Can I do this forever?"

"Is there a community of like-minded people where I can get support?"

"Is it getting me the results I want?"




  • Make a list of your "excuses"

Lastly and probably most importantly, you need to be honest about your efforts, brutally honest. Is IT not working or are YOU not working?  Evaluate the excuses you use- BE REAL. Are your reasons for not doing something you want legit?  If it is important to you, you will find a way.  If it's not you will find an excuse.

Think long and hard about them. Write down next to them ways you can challenge those excuses. Then put them into action.

For example:
"I don't have time."    can be countered with...

"I will wake up an hour early" or "I will cut back 30 minutes of ______ to make time for _____."


Oh that's right I forgot one last question.

"When do I start?" 
 NOW!

Some of us need a little extra help, to get started in the right direction.  Don't be shy & most certainly do not be ashamed, we all need that little extra push sometimes!  Feel free to reach out to me & we can discuss how I can help you get on your way to a healthier you!














No comments:

Post a Comment